Friday, July 17, 2009

Creation Museum: A Critique


This past week David and I made the 300 mile trek to the Creation Museum. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the museum it is dedicated to documenting and showing evidence for the creationist view of where life began, with God.

For this venture David and I opted to leave the kids at home and I am glad of it. While it was a very family friendly place to visit, the kids aren't old enough to appreciate the topic ( at least not enough to outweigh a night alone with my husband). We arrived to the CM just before open, with a line already forming. A security officer who noticed my husbands style of haircut came out of his way to remind us that he should present his identification to receive their police, fire, military discount. I wonder if my haircut screams 'stay at home- homeschool mom'-more then likely. Any ways- My husband did present his ID and he got in free and I for half-price. We did go ahead and add on the planetarium making our total cost $27. A bargain I think.
We began our museum exploration with the planetarium. The planetarium show was wonderful. It reminded me of just how small that we are in the great big cosmic scope of things- from our Sun you wouldn't be able to see the Earth, from the Milky Way Galaxy you wouldn't see the Sun, half way across the universe you wouldn't see our Galaxy- yet this is where God choose to send his Son for us to be saved by! Well worth the extra money.

We then toured of the exhibits. The exhibits were all very nicely presented with all of the technological advances that you would see in other museums. Exhibits took us through the fall of mankind, Noah's flood-to remove wickedness from the Earth and how this plays into the 'Young Earth Theory', and through the wickedness seen in the world today- suggesting an eminent threat of Christ's return to Earth. However I was disappointed with all of this- I already believed all of this before I went. What I was looking for was more detail and it simply was not there. I know that these details exist and are fact based, I have seen them. I was really surprised that there was nothing dedicated to the discussion on problems with carbon dating. An unbeliever would not be able to take much away from this experience due to the lack of these details.

Outside of the building there is a wonderful and beautiful botanical garden- a true testimony to God's magnificent artistry. Also their is a well maintained petting zoo. I must say that customer service was unmatched-ever helpful without being a bit overbearing. And the food was better here then any other museum I have encountered. The picture above was taken from the dining balcony overlooking the pond and gardens.

All in all the Creation Museum was very nice and not a bad idea but... I left wanting more.

No comments:

Post a Comment